Skip to main content
Topic: 2021 Sightings Begin (Read 174 times) previous topic - next topic

2021 Sightings Begin

It's raining outside, which will set back mud free walking a little.

The first sightings this week were near or in Pimlico. Susan Cooke reported a clump of celandines by the side of the Bedmond Road opposite Highwoodhall Lane, and further along by a car park  is a group of naturalised snowdrops. I also saw the celandines and turning down Highwoodhall Lane I saw a solitary dandelion and a small clump of white nettles.

Elizabeth Cooper reported dandelions in Green Lane. Dandelions are tough, but usually at their peak around St Georges Day in April, which is the recommended time to pick them for wine making.

Jenny Dickson reports lots of arum leaves and signs that bluebells are beginning to shoot. No flowers yet but she did see two Cherry Plum trees in blossom and sent in the photo below. One is on the corner of St Agnells Lane and Cupid Green Lane and the other along the path by Holtsmere End. Her photo is below.

On Tuesday I saw some periwinkle, which on checking is a plant of Mediterranean origin but is now naturalised. Herb Robert is growing well everywhere, but not yet in flower.

Finally, looking at the trees neither oak or ash have yet burst their buds. We'll have to wait to test the old saying, 'Oak before ash and we're in for a splash. Ash before oak and we're in for a soak.' Let's hope we have another glorious sunny spring like we did last year.