Skip to main content
Topic: April 13th (Read 85 times) previous topic - next topic

April 13th

The mystery yellow flower is a mystery no more. Mavis Lawrence, Audrey Naylor, Peter Firth and Ruth Treves-Brown say that is is leopardsbane also known as doronicum.
Here's another test. While crossing the Leighton Buzzard Road yesterday, I noticed some very small white flowers that grow right on the verge. With salt and exhaust fumes it must be an extremely toxic environment. Does anyone know what they might be? I have seen them often next to busy roads.
The wood anemone story continues. Barbara Egglesfield says that some suddenly appeared a year or two ago in their garden exactly at the spot where her husband John cleans his walking boots! He must have picked up and carried back the seeds. Her photo is below.
I have some snakes head fritillaries growing in my garden. They seem to thrive with all the dead leaves I dump over that ground every Autumn. I took this photo this morning. Does anyone know where they are growing wild in our surrounding area? When I did a web search the nearest places seemed to be Oxford and Cricklade. I have asked Herts Wildlife Trust, of which I'm a member and will pass on any information I receive.
Finally, Joyce White sent in this photo from the Walled Garden in Gadebridge Park. I know its fame has spread because Jill Bayley told me that she plans to walk through to see it.
If you have never crossed through the tunnel to get to the other side of the road, there is a good but steep walk around some marvellous trees and yet another pleasant local vista.
Please don't hesitate to send in your photos, and if you are using a phone consider turning sideways to obtain a panoramic shot.